Saturday, March 31, 2012

What's in a Name?


Photobucket

The above graphic is not a new advertising campaign for my blog!   I’m merely testing fonts for a new header.   As I was testing them, though, I thought about how ashamed I once was of my name.   As a child, I really hated telling people my name…Margaret.  That’s really not a child’s name, is it?   Incidentally, I met a girl at the veterinarian office today, a cute redheaded, freckled child of about 10 or 11, whose name is Margaret.    These days, I don't hate my name.

Margaret means pearl…I’ve mentioned that before… I am a gem, a treasure, a precious thing;  the word “pearl” has become a metaphor for something very rare, fine, admirable, and valuable.
Photobucket


2 comments:

  1. You are a pearl! A gem indeed!! Betty means God's promise (derivative of Elizabeth, though I am not an Elizabeth, I'm a Betty, no nicknames here LOL though people wonder if Betty is a nickname for Elizabeth). The jury is still out if I like my name.....but after 54 years......I guess I've grown accustomed to it. I could have been Donna Jean (I'm Betty Jean). Mom liked Donna Jean, Dad didn't. They compromised on Betty Jean. How funny life is. MIL's favorite sister's name was Betty Jean.....

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. indeed...you are a true gem...absolutely priceless!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Have musings of your own? Comments are welcome...

Blog Archive