Friday, March 4, 2011

Awesome....(Not!)

awe: an emotion variously combining dread, veneration, and wonder that is inspired by authority or by the sacred or sublime (lofty, grand, or exalted in thought, expression, or manner; of outstanding spiritual, intellectual, or moral worth; tending to inspire awe usually because of elevated quality)

awesome: expressive of awe; inspiring awe

Somehow, I don’t think that what Sally-Betty is doing on Friday is awesome.   Nor that Susie will be at Sally-Betty’s party on Saturday….or the fact that you can borrow her book to read this weekend.   These things are not awesome.    A brilliant orange and red sunset?  Yes!   Purple mountain majesty?   Yes!   Pink clouds shrouding a sunrise?   Yes!   That a rerun of Psycho is on TV this weekend?   Not so much.

Working around young people, I hear “awesome!” a lot.  Sometimes, the word is coming from a girl whose hair, on one side of her head, is black, and on the other side, it’s white.    Perhaps the word is used by a girl with a purple skunk streak going down the middle of her head…or a young man with pants sagging to his knees that he must continually hold up or they drop to the ground…maybe even someone covered in tattoos and body piercings.    Even these sights are not awesome!    It’s a misused and overused word.

This is the kind of entry that should be on a “Wordy Wednesday.”

I think with doing entries every day, I will probably be using themes at times, such as Wordy Wednesday, or Newsday Tuesday, Thankful Thursday…   Just think, if Charlie Sheen is still squawking over the weekend, Newsday Tuesday will practically write itself.    Awesome!

2 comments:

  1. Wait. Did I miss a post? Who is Sally-Betty? What party? What book? I'm so confused.

    Oh... wait. Were you just using those names as a general reference? Ohhhh....

    Hahaha. I agree with the overuse of awesome.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. love is another misused word; I "love" pizza and I "love" my hubby. Do I love pizza the same way I love my hubby?? Charlie Sheen has gotten way more than his 15 minutes of fame; he needs to get his act together and start being a better role model for his children, such a sad situation

    have an "awesome" weekend :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete

Have musings of your own? Comments are welcome...

Blog Archive