Monday, November 29, 2010

The Merry Musings...and the not so merry

There’s usually one in every extended circle…a person who just begs to be talked about once they leave the room.   Fodder.     The chick who greatly exaggerates every story she tells…when you were there to see it firsthand.  The pathological liar.   The cynic, the smart-aleck, the know-it-all.    What I wonder is…am I that person for my circle?   Not because I exaggerate, or am a know-it-all, or tell tales…but because of my great propensity to eat.   I can sure put it away…quickly, too.   I’m not one to snatch food off of another’s plate, so my friends and family are in no danger of starving around me.   I don’t take food from children.   Unless it’s a cookie.   I’m joking.   Mostly.   I really, really need change in my life.

My new word (term) this week is Palliative Care:  (from Latin palliare, to cloak) is any form of medical care or treatment that concentrates on reducing the severity of disease symptoms, rather than striving to halt, delay, or reverse progression of the disease itself or provide a cure. The goal is to prevent and relieve suffering and to improve quality of life for people (dogs, that is) facing serious, complex illness (from Wikipedia…I love that site!).  Poor Peppy isn’t doing too well right now.    We have one more medicine to give him that we will start him on today.   If that doesn’t provide some relief for him, we will be facing a very difficult decision. 

I am noticing that my skin is changing.   Again.   At one time I had non-problematic skin…no flaking, no pits, splotches, dark circles, no “fine lines,” no wrinkles.   These days, I have it all!   I sound beautiful, yes?    I have been looking for a new makeup.   My Revlon ColorStay isn’t friendly to my face any more…where once it was perfect.   So, I’m looking at old-lady make up.   Any suggestions?   I have tried several, and am not finding anything great and wonderful.   I’m just hoping I’m not beyond great and wonderful!    I do not intend to spend a ton of money, either, though I am willing to spend some.   When I think of the mega-bucks I spent on wrinkle cream, lotions, and potions before I got the bad skin…well, I just feel plain snookered!   Time stops for no one, and it’s getting harder to disguise that it hasn’t stopped for me, either.   I’m tired of fighting it, too.   I have even outright admitted my age lately, much to the surprise of at least one person (sideways glance at Gina).

Another thing I can’t deny is how time has touched my parents.   Each year that passes, I realize more and more how important they are to me, and how blessed I am.    This morning, my dad is in the hospital with some (as of yet) unknown infection.  

I made it out on Black Friday.   I waited until late in the day, and ventured out to Hobby Lobby (LOVE that store) and Sam’s.   Neither place was overly crowded, and I found good parking places at both stores.   I didn’t spend a lot of money, either.   Yay, me!   I also went to Target and WalMart this weekend…it was pretty crowded, but I still found a good parking places.  I do love the Christmas Season…but I do not enjoy shopping or crowds.  This year, I am actually going to send out Christmas cards!

Have a wonderful Monday! 

7 comments:

  1. love the new blog look, sorry about your dad, will keep him in my prayers; hope they find the source of the infection

    palliative care is indeed an interesting term to be considering this week

    sorry about Peppy too, such hard choices to make I do believe

    glad you got some shopping in!! I'm with you, I could do without crowds or shopping too this most precious of seasons!

    I hope the day is a kind one

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Palliative care is what I insisted on for my Father in the end. I had not really thought of it in the way you are using it, but it is provocative.
    And no, I do not think you are THAT person in your circle. Just that you are so very HYPERAWARE of something that distresses you so.
    I think that you are a good enough person, totally independent of any eating pattern, to warrant love & appreciation..you might be THAT person in your circle. ~Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see the inevitable passage of time reflected in your blog post, the aging of your beloved dog, I am facing that also, the aging of self, it happens to us all and the worry of aging parents. The clock of time. We all face it. I think you are one of those people who will make everyday count and observe every day fully. And you are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. poor peppers....yes, i do feel badly for the lil guy. and you two as well, as i know how much you love him. the A. G. E. factor....i'm not liking it one little bit!!! and i fear there is no way to stop it!! :( but you still look young and beautiful....and we need a microscope to see the fine lil lines that you mention here! wish i could say the same. love you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You cant be that person in the circle because they are usually oblivious to the fact that someone could talk about them.
    Praying for your Dad and for Peppy too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. sighhhh. If you find the perfect make-up, please let me know. I seem to have gone from having the skin of a 30 year old to that of a 70 year old in about minute over the summeer.

    I'm embarrassed to say that I am quite troubled by what I see in the mirror. I hadn't realized I was that vain, but this face disturbs me! Magic make-up--here I am!

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like we have the same skin history... and all the little agey stuff popping up before I'm ready to accept it.

    A couple of years ago I succumbed to an infomercial on tv, and am so glad I took the chance. It turns out that I LOVE the product.

    It is Sheercover mineral makeup. Really, those infomercials are pretty accurate. I only use the Concealer, which you pat on first, then the two powders--the Mineral powder then the Finishing powder. It comes with a nice big brush. I had to join a "club", but then you just cancel if you want, and only order more when you decide.

    It really works, and covers all my splotches, dark circles and red blotches and broken veins... yeah, lovely sounding. But really, I think you would like it. At least, I do very much. When I get all gussied up and am wearing it, I just feel prettier. :-)

    Loretta
    =^..^=

    ReplyDelete

Have musings of your own? Comments are welcome...

Blog Archive