Tuesday, November 23, 2010

On Giving Thanks

I always enjoyed getting together with family, immediate and extended, even when I didn’t realize how important they are in my life.   One reason I love Thanksgiving so much is because we gather at my parents’ house and enjoy each other’s company.    I have two brothers and two sisters, and most of us are able to make it each year. 

Once upon a Thanksgiving many years ago, my brother, Steve, and my sister, Cindy, were in the military and unable to make it home.     I was still living with my parents, and I was disappointed.    Steve, who was stationed in South Carolina, drove to Virginia, where Cindy was stationed, to spend Thanksgiving with her.  Very early Thanksgiving morning, I woke up in my bed with two life-sized adults jumping on my bed like little children.   They had driven all night to come home.   This is my favorite Thanksgiving memory thus far.

I have so much for which to be thankful, and it stretches well beyond this season of Thanksgiving.    I’ve always had a roof over my head, food to eat, cars to drive, parents and family to help me when I needed it.   Best of all, there is not a day in my life that I did not know about Jesus.   My mom took her five little children to church by herself until Dad began to go to church with us, when I was about six years old.   When I was a child, one of the most unappreciated things my parents did for me was take me to church, and make sure that I was taught about Christ.   Now, it is the most appreciated thing of my life.   My parents were wonderful examples of Christians should live, and they lived up to the expectations they had for us, as well.   They weren’t perfect, but I really can’t remember the imperfections.   I remember two people who have always been my anchors.   Always.   I cannot describe to you how appreciative I really am.

During this Thanksgiving week, I am going to endeavor to begin to be more thankful always, and in everything give thanks.    I am incredibly blessed. 

Here are a few photos of yet more reasons for me to be thankful.   This is the color fest that surrounds me at work. 





Happy Thanksgiving to you.

5 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving to you too, Meg!!You truly are blessed!!! Sounds like a wonderful way to spend the day with your family enjoying each other's company, fellowship, and of course the delicious food! I think it is fantastic that your mom was so faithful taking you guys to church when you were young!!

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. once again...a memory that escapes me...but i do know how i love all of us being together! we are so very blessed. i love these pix...the color is amazing!! una is really a beautiful campus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been aiming for the "more thankful" stance as well. I love your pictures, but then I always do. ~Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Thanksgiving BR! And many blessings to your precious family this year.

    ReplyDelete

Have musings of your own? Comments are welcome...

Blog Archive