Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Thoughts for Tuesday


Huntsville Botanical Garden Closeup

It's Halloween.   When I was a child, I loved to Trick or Treat...I loved coming home with a sack of candy is closer to the truth.   Today, I plan to not even eat one piece of candy.   That's the plan!

We rarely get Trick or Treaters at my house...except for those who are kin to us...which means I'll need to have candy on hand.   Not in the mouth.   Got to keep to the plan!


      





Have you noticed that we live in a world where people love to tell us how to think?   We should see it their way or we are narrow-minded.  Or a hater.   Or racist.   But when you are right, you’re right, and there is just no need to argue with people who refuse to see the truth.   You don't have to prove it when you're right, and you sure won’t change someone’s mind who’s just as convinced as you are that they are right.  Truth is truth, it will come to light without my getting into arguments.  I have to remind myself that with truth, I am in a good place; they are in sinking sand.  No need to get in the mire with those who push falsehoods and fiction.

People seem to have “being bullied” mixed up with “just plain rude.”   They also have “hate” and “I don’t agree with you” mixed up.   Just because someone takes offense to a comment does not mean it is hate.  Don't be name-called into to changing what you know is true or right.  Just don’t give in to it.  Be informed.  Do your research.  Remember it's no crime to think for yourself!

There may a time when you realize that you are so politically/intellectually far apart from a person there will never be a real friendship.  Even if, aside from the political views, you like the person.   

Don't punish a person just for being who they are…but that doesn’t mean they get to invade your space with “who they are.”



Devotional Day Two:   The Weightier Matter


4 comments:

  1. I know you every visit here with you will be an interesting one! Really good advice about thinking this morning. I never thought about the bullying as being rude and difference in opinions as hate but you are absolutely tight!
    I think of the scripture that says ‘as much as you possibly can - live peacefully with all.’ Paraphrased...but I try to follow that principle. And you are right about being totally unable to change people’s minds. However, I have seen the way one lives and acts can have a much bigger influence on others than words.
    Happy Halloween, Margaret!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't like the fact that we have to be tolerant of this and that and people are not tolerant of us or our beliefs, but I guess it shouldn't surprise me since Jesus did say we would be persecuted.

    The secret to not eating any Halloween candy is to buy the candy one doesn't like :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Arguments are always unproductive, but a difference of opinion, clarified or maybe even skillfully debated is a good thing, I think. You're right in saying that there is a time to just let it go. Sometimes, I think that the person is disagreeing with me simply because I wasn't clear in what I said, so I circle back around and clarify my meaning...only to find out that they were simply refusing to consider, or even think about, another point of view. I'm real slow on picking that up; it just baffles me. Haha. sorry about the post-length comment. This subject has been on my mind of late.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll check out the WL blog later today. gotta do something right now. Looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete

Have musings of your own? Comments are welcome...

Blog Archive