Saturday, October 7, 2017

Did God do That?


Nate is headed to North Alabama…or what will be left of him by the time he gets here.

Have you ever noticed when someone suggests that earthquakes, hurricanes, tornadoes, floods, etc., could be God’s judgment, some folks lose their minds.   They indignantly say things like “God doesn’t do things like that!” and “That’s not the God I serve!”

I don’t argue with them because truthfully, I don’t know.  

But I do wonder why they think that’s not the God they serve.  Reading through the Old Testament, we find stories of God commanding complete and utter destruction of people…men, women, and children, too.   At times, livestock as well.   Then there’s the time He told Joshua to hamstring the horses…

Sending earthquakes and hurricanes?   It could be the God we serve.   
  • He hardened hearts then made them pay for being hard.
  • He allowed kingdoms to defeat the Children of Israel for their sin, then punished those kingdoms for doing so. 
  • Nehemiah called Him a great and terrible God.   
  • Then there’s Job…

But did He purposely destroy Puerto Rico, flood Houston, or send earthquakes to Mexico?   I don’t know.   But I do know He allowed it.  The Bible tells us the wind and the sea obey Him (Matthew 8), He makes lightning for the rain (Jeremiah 10), He rained down hail more than one time to kill people (Exodus 9, Joshua 10), and plans to do it again (Revelation 16). 
 
It’s kind of hard to think about, isn’t it?
But He loves me...and I love Him, even
when I don't fully understand.
The LORD does whatever pleases Him, in the Heavens
and on the Earth, in the seas and all their depths.
(Psalm 135:6)

And I will serve Him.

But if serving the LORD seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD."
(Joshua 24:15




Praying for protection for all from the coming storm.  


6 comments:

  1. I’ve often thought the very same thing! I believe God can bring good from any situation. Including hurricanes and storms and tornadoes. Sine I have family living in Puerto Rico I have learned that corruption was the biggest cause of their poor economy. ‘Families” controlled the electricity and it was just cobbled together and there were wide spread power outages on a daily basis before the hurricanes hit. Now that the National Guard and military and Corp of Engineers have gone in, perhaps PR will benefit and can keep control out of the hands of these mafia like families.
    No matter the storm, God is always with us....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard some of the stories of corruption in PR. So sad. I hope control will be better placed, as well.

      Delete
  2. I believe like you that God allows the things that happen and why does one place get total destruction and another just mild flooding, I don't know. I do know God is sovereign and his ways and plans and timing are so much better than mine. I also know we live in a fallen world where there is evil and there will be trouble. Jesus pretty much "guaranteed" us that in his teachings. The God I serve is mighty and in control and knows what he is doing, even when to me it makes no sense to me.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, Betty. My mom reminds me about this fallen world when I voice my lack of understanding for the evil that abounds. But indeed He is in control, and I am so thankful for that!

      Delete
  3. "It is a terrifying thing to fall into the hands of the living God." (Hebrews 10:31, I think.) God loved me enough to die for me, but I ought not take Him lightly. He is not a smiling, nodding grandfather in the sky; He is the living God who made heaven and earth & who holds that earth in His hands. I don't know that God is judging Puerto Rico, etc, but I do know that we have become a pagan country, eschewing all things God, and that the end times are here. The bible records what will happen during those times--wars, earthquakes, famines, men caring only for themselves, ungodliness, etc. God said it would happen-and it is. Specific judgment on specific places--maybe not, but predicted judgment? Yes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, He's not a casual God where anything goes...He's a jealous God and expects our obedience. He doesn't always (or normally?) get it.

      I don't know how people who don't know Jesus have any peace in this world these days.

      Delete

Have musings of your own? Comments are welcome...

Blog Archive