Wednesday, October 4, 2017

How are you sleeping?


After waking up to the news about Las Vegas on Monday, I found myself doing my normal functions, performing my duties so that other people could do theirs. Every time I heard something about Las Vegas, I shut my eyes tightly so that I only teared up a little. Oddly, I noticed an irritability with others that normally isn’t there.

I am thankful to be alive; thankful my family and friends are fine…yet my heart still breaks for a place I’ve never desired to visit, and for people I don’t know.

With the hurting people not far from my mind, life went on. I ate, I talked with others, I did what I was supposed to do. Something was different, though. As the hours went by, when Monday turned into Tuesday, and now Wednesday, people are thinking of Las Vegas less and less. But I am mindful that while today I am exempt from the heartache others are suffering, tomorrow is not promised.

We are bombarded with information every day, and precious little of it is good news. Story after story of destruction and evil, people bickering, hurting each other, killing each other. Earthquakes. Hurricanes. Hate. My mother said people are desensitized. I believe she is right. We watch TV and scroll through social media, blasted with the evil deeds of the day, and then as a new story develops, we forget about the last one.

Is it any wonder so few of us are sleeping and so many 
of us are on sleeping pills and/or anti-depressants?

I don’t know if this post could get any more bleak, so I will put this out there for us to dwell on instead of bad news:

Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed,
yet My unfailing love for you will not be shaken nor My covenant
of peace be removed,” says the LORD, who has compassion on you.
Isaiah 54:10

I have told you these things, so that in Me you may have peace.
In this world, you will have trouble. But take heart!
I have overcome the world.”
John 16:33

…The peace of God, which transcends all understanding,
will guard your hearts and your minds in Jesus Christ.
Philippians 4:7

Peace I leave with you; My peace I give you…
do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.
John 14:27


I came across this video on Facebook. If you haven't watched it, it is well worth 8 minutes and 39 seconds of your time:


4 comments:

  1. I'll have to remember to come back and watch the video. Your mom is very wise; I too think we have become desensitized. There's just so much going on we can't process one before another comes along. I think it "only" impacts us for more than a brief time if it happened close to us or to someone we knew and loved. Labor pains are coming closer and closer it seems these days. Maybe as we pray, we should be watching the sky.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah...lately the song "Lift Up Your Head Redemption Draweth Nigh" has been on my mind over the past few days.

      Delete
  2. Thru it all, God is still good, and I am His...no matter what. My heart does not need to be troubled. (Tho, it has been sorely grieved these past few says.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess if I'm honest...my heart does get troubled some days...

      Delete

Have musings of your own? Comments are welcome...

Blog Archive