Thursday, November 12, 2015

Thursday's Thoughts, DIAW, Y'all


the fungus among us
America has quite an epidemic of DIAW Syndrome. People exhibit the disease every day, and every day there is a new victim….and the victim is not the one with the disease! I think I may be exhibiting a few symptoms of it myself! Why? Because I’m offended at the offended!


Casting my narrowed eyes 
toward the infected, I say, 
“I don’t want to be like them!”
(Funny how the acronym for people 
offended by offended people is POOP.)

Yes, this…this worm…seems to be taking America by storm! Actually, to call it a worm insults the worm.  We'll stick with fungus.
“Do I have it?” You ask yourself 
“How can I protect myself?” You wonder. 
“What IS IT?” you scream!

I will tell you!  It is having one’s Drawers in a Wad.

Nothing is safe from this wedgie effect.  From the Starbucks cup to the Washington Redskins; from a Target Christmas sweater to a racist Halloween! How about banned words like bossy, or “sorry not sorry,” because apologizing for not apologizing makes so much sense. Even pronouns are not safe! It may be offensive to be called “she” if one if female, or “he” if one is male.
an old fox squirrel 
And words! They can be so offensive! Here are a few examples for you to run by your offended meter to see if you have DIAW symptoms because you feel personally insulted:
  • If someone says “black sheep” instead of “outcast.”
  • If someone says “guys” instead of “friends” or “folks”
  • If someone says “girls” instead of “women”
  • “Failure” instead of “non-traditional success”
  • “Manhole” instead of “utility hole.”
  • “Fat” instead of “person of substance” or “horizontally challenged.”
If I were get to the real nitty gritty, I’d throw this out there:
  • If someone suggests “adoption” instead of “abortion.”
  • If someone believes “creation” instead of “evolution.”
  • If someone is “conservative” instead of “liberal.”
But I won’t go there. That might bring some seriousness into my post.


more fungus (of course it would be in my own back yard!)
People who have DIAW waste a huge amount of precious time carefully watching and listening for the next offense, and too many want a piece of Offended Pie. The First Amendment doesn’t mean you will like everything you hear others say, but it does mean they get to say it. And when they say it, and you don’t like it, that doesn’t always make them racist, discriminatory, or prejudicial. Tolerance doesn’t mean you have to bring them around to your way of thinking. That, my friends, is pseudo-tolerance.


If you find yourself offended every day by what others say,
you are paying too much attention to others' words.
Disengage! Walk away! 
 Go have some fun somewhere!

cataloochee valley elk (GSM)
Is it more acceptable for a person to act like an idiot than it is for someone to point out that they are idiotic?  (And then be left to wonder if it’s really just an act.)  My first instinct for the is to help them in their offense, because if someone whines about some silly word like “bossy,” I find I want to toss it into my conversation as much as possible.  I don’t always act on my first thoughts, thankfully.

What should we do when confronted with someone who is in obvious throes of DIAW?  Rise above it.  Ignore them if you can.  If not, treat them with respect, or just take them to Starbucks because, as we all know, the most important thing that happened this week was a red Starbucks cup.



If you are local...in or around the Shoals area...check OB's post on this place in Rogersville HERE and HERE

6 comments:

  1. The thought came to me this morning; what if Starbucks cooked this whole thing up to get more attention drawn to them; people probably coming in to check out the "horrid" cup.

    If people stopped getting so offended by things like this and took the time that is spent on discussing this and put it into more productive things, like feeding the hungry, caring for the elderly, etc., what a better world it would be. I don't see that happening though and more controversies over silly colors of cups.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even bad press can be good press, I suppose.

      I hope that it doesn't take yet another catastrophe before people realize what is important in life.

      Delete
  2. Snicker. I dunno, girlfriend. You have entered that weird world in which we sound like what we're pointing out. You know, how we sound intolerant when we're saying someone else is intolerant. There's just no way to do it.

    The POOP is pretty deep here. snicker.

    that unnecessary comment stated, I do agree with you.

    the good news, at least regarding the college kids, thanksgiving break is coming..as is winte4r break between semesters...and then it's cold. From personal experience (as a college student in 1969-70 during the Vietnam War protests and sundry administration building sit-ins for who knows what), winter is pretty effective in quelling enthusiasm for outdoor protests and indoor protests just aren't as nifty.

    So, this too shall pass. Hopefully, no one dies and significant damage is not done in the meantime.

    As far as our current cultural upheaval with all of this and on a more serious note... Margaret, I've had it on my mind for a couple of a days now. This political correctness, ,which suppresses all opinion that is contrary to the suppressor 's world view (in the name of tolerance and a better way, of course) is robbing us of the liberty these people think they are protecting. Suppression and freedom cannot co-exist.

    That does not mean that we are to tolerate bigotry, of course, but it seems to me that there are an awful lot of things that are now being called bigotry that is really good morals. I'll just let you finish this rant...

    If God does not intervene, we are going to become Nazi Germany--only in the name of political correctness and Christians will be the "poison" that needs to be cleansed for the purity of our nation.

    Serious times...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and it just got a whole lot more serious. While Americans are being offended over silly things, people are dealing with real injustices: Paris, Pastor Saeed, Asia Bibi, Christians in Sudan, Syria, Iraq, Iran, China...

      Delete

Have musings of your own? Comments are welcome...

Blog Archive