Monday, January 4, 2010

Monday

The first day back at work after two weeks off went very smooth, all things considered.   I wish some others would do their job a little more quickly, and then I could get on with my stuff...patience...  

After work, I rushed home, cleaned out the fireplace, got a new fire started, cooked dinner, and made it to prayer meeting on time.  

Let's go back to "cooked dinner."   You have to understand that not a lot of "cooking" goes on at my house.  A lot of (formerly) eating, yes; not a lot of cooking.  I mean, seriously, I haven't had a full sized oven in over 13 years, only a toaster oven, and I haven't missed it, not one day.    

Tonight, I made hamburger steak with mushroom gravy, and sauteed onions and mushrooms to top it with.   To the normal adult wife and/or mother, that may not be such a big deal.   For me, it was great!   It tasted great, it was low fat, and it made me feel good that I cooked it.   The only mistake I made was not enough gravy or sauteed onions and mushrooms.   Live and learn.

OK...so any of my immediate family/real life friends, you may now pick your chin up off the floor.  I did indeed eat the onions.  Of course, they were near carmelized, and the whole meal was good! 

Instead of eating out so much, I'm endeavoring to learn to cook a little more-better.   More cooking, better choices, more money saved, better health.

I am so encouraged.

Oh, by the way, I did climb the extra strairs today.   I just might do it again tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. good for you, Meg; that dinner sounds delicious! you will feel healthier eating more home cooked foods than take out or prepared foods. there's tons of things you can make healthy and inexpensively compared to going out and buying them premade. Do you have a crockpot? wonders for the working woman, LOL.

    great that you climbed the extra stairs too :)

    looking good :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your supper sounds delcious to me! Mmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds delicious. I don't use my large oven anymore either. I do have a confection oven on the counter top, a microwave and some crockpots. In fact I am using one crockpot to cook a roast overnight.
    Thanks for your comment in my blog. Happy New Year to you, your family and Peppy.
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your supper sounds WONDERFUL! I love ALL those things! I haven't had an over either for over 10 years. I've got a little toaster oven, and use a crockpot, too.

    I had sauteed onions tonight, too. I had nuked a couple of pieces of Tilapia fillets to thaw them and partially cook them (3 mins) and I put them on top of the onions and finished cooking them on the one side, then turned them over and poured Pace Mild Picante sauce (about a cup) and cooked them another min. or two, flipped them to make sure the Pace was heated through, and viola' a wonderful main dish that doesn't taste fishy at all! I also steamed some carrots, brocolli, and cauliflower until crisp tender and had that on the side. FAST & EASY!

    ReplyDelete

Have musings of your own? Comments are welcome...

Blog Archive