Monday, March 6, 2017

Pit Pollution

He drew me up out of a horrible pit [a pit of tumult and of destruction], out of the miry clay (froth and slime),
and set my feet upon a rock, steadying my steps and establishing my goings. (Psalm 40:2 AMPC)

Last Wednesday morning, after publishing my last post, I sat talking to God, remembering all my past failures and how many times I’d fallen back into the pit.  I asked Him if what I’d said in the post was true…that He is listening and His hand is already extended to us when we are drowning in the mire. Searching for an answer, I randomly (or not so randomly) opened my Bible to this passage (complete with highlights and underscores, and an arrow pointing to the word “hand”):

Jeremiah 23 NKJV
From that point, I walked in faith knowing that He would help me through that first day of letting go of the food obsession. And He did! I have lost a few pounds and haven’t even been tempted to binge.

But I was in a funk.

I wasn’t overeating, but I brought some pit pollution with me when God pulled me out to solid ground.  My feelings were hurt because of some offhand comments made by someone, and I was having a hard time getting past it.  I couldn’t find any joy, even though God had shown me through His word that He knew exactly where I was, and it was His hand that pulled me from the pit.  But still, I was gloomy.
I am blessed enough to still have my mom…a faithful prayer warrior…and I called her to share my heart about what I was experiencing.  I know she prayed for me, because it wasn’t long before He lifted the sadness.  He also let me see clearly something that perhaps I missed in the past:
Getting out of the pit is always a good thing, but when we bring pollution with us, we may not recognize that we are no longer in the pit because we are looking through the unforgiveness, or the anger, or the hurt that we did not let go of when we were pulled from the miry clay.
When we are grasping things like unforgiveness and anger instead of God’s unchanging hand, it will not be long before we are back in the pit!

I cannot stress how important it is to pray for others who are struggling. There are times when the struggle is so desperate that people stop praying for themselves. That is when praying people step in and pray on their behalf.

God knows. 
He hears every prayer. 
His Grace is sufficient for us.


Appetite Update:
Old habits sometimes die slow, painful deaths. I’d like to report that I haven’t dwelt on what to eat, what not to eat, or my next meal…but the truth is, I did think about those things. I will also admit that I failed at my scripture memorization. I wrote my scripture choice (Psalm 103:1-6) on index cards and kept them at my desk to refer to it as needed, but I didn’t memorize the verses. When I realized that I was thinking about food, I made a conscious choice to look at the index cards I’d made…and in particular, this verse that spoke to me:
But don't be so concerned about perishable things like food. Spend your energy seeking the eternal life that the Son of Man can give you. John 6:27 NLT


7 comments:

  1. Loved this post. Love your mom!

    The insight's about pit pollution spoke to me. Ahh lot. I've been reading...or trying to...a book over the last few days that speaks a lot about forgiveness and does it in a way that I've not heard before, so it's been on my heart. So, thanks for the added thoughts on that.

    Memory. First, I have always had a hard time memorizing things. I can tell you the story/point/explanation, but memorize a list? Not happening. Now, mind, I have 2 master's degrees so while I may not be the smartest person in a room, I'm no slouch. Just can't memorize. Now, get this: I had my DNA analyzed a few years ago and in the DNA mis was a little SNP that indicates---> I will have difficulty with memorization. :} Not my lack of effort, lack of gene mojo.

    Beyond that, I do manage to sort of memorize Bible verses in a "Deb/s Translation" kind of way that usually mixes NIV with NAS & some old KJV thrown in BUT I can. not. memorize from the NLT. Love that transaltion and read it often, but just can't get the words to hang together in my mind. Part genetic impairment, part too used to the older versions, I guess.

    Finally, I appreciate you very much. :) Hang in there and I'm praying for you, too. And your eye.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom is the best...God's precious gift to me.

      I have a hard time with memorization, as well. It takes me a long time, and I have to do it a little bit at a time. But since it helps me so much, I do try to keep some scripture tucked away in my memory. Like you, I am better at telling the story than knowing word for word, line for line. Thank you so much for you kind words. My eye is defintely better. I'm on a steroid drop 4-5 times a day, and as of today it is a little less inflamed, therefore less painful. Still praying for your eye, as well.

      Delete
  2. Oh! I forgot. Very cool confirmation in the Word. I love it when God shows us that He is aware of us even in the small details of our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the enemy has a good way of attacking us when he senses God's work in our lives. Your funk could have been part of his attack. Having a strong prayer warrior in your mom is definitely a good thing. Bet she didn't stop praying for your need even after you felt different about it and she'l continue to pray about it. I too find it amazing how God is in all aspects of our lives. I'll write down something in my prayer journal that I'm concerned about, etc., and 9 out of 10 times my scripture reading for the day will dwell on that concern (have no idea about what it will be) or I'll hear a testimony on the radio or hear a song that ties things together. God is amazing on how he weaves things together in our lives.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am 80 years old and have come to the conclusion that at least half the world
    has lost the meaning of scruples and morals. All the years and I have never been so afraid of Government as this year. We need regulations. yvonne

    ReplyDelete

Have musings of your own? Comments are welcome...

Blog Archive