Monday, May 20, 2013

Monday Musings...The Sam's Club Edition

Dear Sam’s Employee:
When there is a line of no less than 14 people behind you waiting to check out, it is not the best time to conduct “membership business.”   I realize you have a job to do…harassing informing customers about what a great membership upgrade they could have if they would just listen to you, but please, not while long lines are waiting to check out.

Dear Fellow Sam’s Shoppers:
I was pretty tired of waiting in line with a broken foot.   I was complaining a little to Ole Boy about the hold up, and it didn’t help that he said his normal “Huh?” to everything I said, so I repeated it all a little louder.  I think my favorite line was “They’re backed up all the way to the nut man!”  (The “nut man” being the sample-giver with the nuts.)   Anyway, if you heard my doubled protests, I’m a little ashamed.

Dear God:
About that murmuring and complaining…yes, I know that even if no one else heard me, You did.  I wish I hadn’t done that, and I will really try to always be more Christ-like no matter what my situation is.  And I have to admit, waiting five extra minutes (even if it seemed like 25) was not worth getting riled over. 


A few weeks ago, I wondered about eating carbs and pseudo-guilt.   I decided to put those thoughts to the test, and a week ago Thursday, I ate some "full-leaded" candy.  I had 3 or 4 pieces.   It went pretty well.  Or so I thought…until I actually analyzed what went on last week and over the weekend.

Before I get into that, I’d like to say that from August to December, I was pretty careful about what I ate.   This year, I have not been nearly as meticulous, and my weight loss has really slowed down.  Truthfully, I think it would have slowed down anyway, but probably not as much as it has.   I was thinking over the last couple of weeks that I had barely lost 5 pounds over the past few months.   But I looked back over my weight loss record, and at the end of January, I was at 68 pounds lost.   Last week, I was at 88 pounds lost, so 20 pounds is a very good achievement, I am thinking. 

Back to the sugar issue…I fully believe what I said about limiting God’s freedom, and I know that we are freed from the chains of sin because of what Jesus did on the cross for us.   But!  Some things are not the best choices for us.  Let me give you a crude example…cashews are fairly low carb (though the one of the carbier nuts) but they give me gas.  (There, I said it!)  It’s just wise for me not to eat those things, even if they are low carb.  Sugar is also not a wise choice for me.

This past weekend, for the first time since August of last year, I had one of those days when I just wanted to eat.  I gave serious thought of sneaking off for a whole bag of cookies (I didn’t).  I thought of getting a box of Klondike bars, the “no sugar added” variety, of course, of which I would have probably eaten the whole box.  Instead, I got a 175 calorie McDonald’s ice cream cone, but the fact of the matter is I was having real issues that rivaled the days of old when I was out of control.

To describe even further what was going on in my head, I told myself exactly what was going on, and I still chose to eat.  Willful gluttony...some of it premeditated.  I reminded myself that it was sin and did it anyway.  I am not proud of any of that.  And I am not fully blaming it on 3 or pieces of chocolate candy, either.   But that did put the wheels in motion.  Honestly, it's not worth it.  I much prefer walking in freedom.

Needless to say, it’s back to low carb (strict low carb for a while).  And as always, I will lean on Him for strength, not look to my own will power(less).

1 comment:

  1. I love these postings. They are so genuine!

    ReplyDelete

Have musings of your own? Comments are welcome...

Blog Archive