Saturday, July 9, 2011

Summer Vacation One - 2011

It’s Summer Vacation One (Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge) because Summer Vacation Two starts tomorrow…to the beach with my sisters.   I almost hate leaving Ole Boy alone without Peppy.   I always said that Pep was his third son.   I wasn’t so very far from wrong.

Before I start with vacation news, I want to say a heartfelt thanks to everyone for the kind comments and notes about Peppy.   It’s been a rough week…we went puppy hunting, but I just really didn’t “fall in love” today…however, there was one pound puppy that Ole Boy may go back for, and if he’s still there, I may come home from the beach to a new little one.


This was the view from the cabin we had for the first five days.   Afterwards, we moved to the Gatlinburg Inn, where at 12:01 a.m. on July 4, we stood for 1.5 hours watching a parade.  Pictures below….


Wildlife at the cabin…my pictures on this vacation are really bad.  I can’t tell you how disappointed I am that my bear pictures didn’t turn out.  Two different photo ops:  a mom and three cubs, and a big male…and NO pics!!! 

Leaf bug

Clingman’s Dome


Cades Cove Buck

Cades Cove old homestead

Gatlinburg Inn Roses

 Midnight Parade
As a rule, I don’t much care for parades,
but this one was worth getting up for…
especially since all I had to do was go
downstairs to my hotel parking lot.

 Daisy Duke was the Grand Marshall…

 Of course, I didn’t get a good picture.

 Some of the floats


People, People, People.
Have I mentioned I don’t like crowds??

7 comments:

  1. Has ole Daisy gained some weight? Just askin.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. you have some great pix!! love the mtn views and racoon and leaf bug...and ya better get packing, you hafta leave your house with lou at 7am!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a cool, memorable parade.
    It may take a while to fall in love with a new puppy. It may be too soon. I went to SPCA two to three times over 4-5 weeks before I finally fell in love with a kitten. My sister , however, fell in love with two kittens the following week. It is different for everyone. Take your time, you will know.
    Enjoy your vacation with your sisters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deb...all I can say is she didn't have her Daisy Dukes on! lol

    Becky, I agree...it may take some time, but I expect if there's a new puppy in the house, I'm going to love it, no matter how soon it gets here :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never heard of parade starting at 12:01 a.m. I'm glad you went to it! What a parade too with the floats and all! Surely a worthwhile adventure to share with us! Cool too with the wildlife you saw and got pictures of (or attempted to take pictures of). That was a great picture of the raccoon and the deer! I am still envious you got to see the bears, regardless if the pictures came out or not!

    You will know the right pup when he/she comes along. Son found Koda through looking at pictures on the internet for several days, but knew that he was the one he wanted (and he came from Alabama :)

    I hope you have a great trip; I know getting away together like that with your sisters will be fun and hopefully relaxing!

    safe travels!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Daisy" seems to weigh less than she did in the last pic I saw of her.

    Margaret, the Florence Shelter has several small dogs. If you could, it would be wonderful for you to adopt from them and save a life.

    Go to my FB site (Nurse Nan) and look at the pic of one I thought you would like. Feel free to send a friend request also.

    Thanks, Bette

    PS: They have a beautiful little girl border collie for Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Bette...the puppy we are considering is at the Florence Shelter. He will be a rescue dog...such a docile little guy. :)

    ReplyDelete

Have musings of your own? Comments are welcome...

Blog Archive