Saturday, February 11, 2017

Committed Thoughts: Choosing Those Thoughts

It all starts with a thought, both failure and success. Thoughts become actions, actions become habits, and habits, a lifestyle. We are going to have uninvited thoughts…and if you are like me, lots and lots of them. It is our choice what we do with our thoughts; we can choose to arrest thoughts that are detrimental to our mental and physical health, such as thinking we are insignificant or unloved.

We can’t ever let the actions of others make us feel like we don’t matter. We also have to accept the fact that there are times when we don’t matter to a particular person, and when that time is realized, it is time to make changes in more than just our thoughts.

No, I’m not telling you to get a divorce if you are having marital problems. I am also not telling you to stay in an abusive situation. But there are things you can do to help yourself even in bad situations, and one of the first things to do is not let yourself believe you are worthless because someone may be telling you that. You are worth much! Just ask Jesus, He’ll tell you!

However, I am telling you not to marry that person who doesn’t treat you with love and respect.  Run away as fast as you can!  If he or she hits or shoves you, or is mentally abusive, don't stay there.  I wrote about domestic violence here.  (I have had the hardest time getting this link to work correctly!)



Success involves choices. More directly, it involves making the right choices. I know that the right choices are often the hardest choices, but when the temptation has passed, the joy for choosing correctly far outweighs the fleeting pleasure that comes from giving into the temptation. And there’s no guilt, no self-loathing, no wallowing in hopelessness and discouragement after the fact.

I used to think my problem was food. It’s not. My problem is me. I have quit begging Jesus to free me from an obsession of food, and have come to know that He is my freedom. All that the Bible says is true, and if He sets me free, I am free, indeed. If I am not walking in freedom, it’s because I’m not close enough to the source. And He is so much more than just the source. He is…my everything.

This is a poem I wrote some years ago. I’ve tweaked it over the years, but if we want true liberation from whatever chains have us bound, we must recognize Him as our all in all.

My All in All


He’s my Teacher when I ask for wisdom,
Crying out in an unashamed voice, 
My Forgiver when I’m off my knees,
And knowingly make a wrong choice.
Patient endower of knowledge, 
While in ignorance I seek to know,
As I grasp, at times rather blindly,
Trying to learn what He’s trying to show.

He’s my Defender when I need protection,
My Freedom when in chains I’m bound,
An ever present, calming deliverer,
When my bonds have kept me down.
He picks me up and helps me stand
When finally I submit;
A solid Rock to place my feet 
When He pulls me from my pit.

He’s my loving Lord, the giver of grace,
My strong and mighty tower.
Ready Redeemer who rescues me,
Protecting me with His power.
Heavenly Father, who is my rest;
Counselor to ease my mind
He’s both Lamb and Lion, the Great I Am,
My all in all combined.

The above poem I have reworked several times because I never
could get the last verse to say what I wanted it to say.
I may just leave it as this:



4 comments:

  1. This is a great post and one I identify with on every aspect. Interestingly, this piece: "We also have to accept the fact that there are times when we don’t matter to a particular person" is something I was talking to the Lord about just before I sat down here to check my blog. I've had a rough couple of days and some who I thought...well, let's just say that support was lacking from those whom I thought would give it

    It's been added grief and an opportunity to forgive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful poem and so rich in meaning! I can relate to much in this post. I remember the day I decided to start looking at my life the way it really was instead of the way I wanted it to be. That was 16 years ago and facing truth and reality with Jesus by my side made me free. It wasn't easy and it was the scariest thing I had ever done at that point in my life but it brought such healing for me and my children and changed our lives for the better. After 41 years of an abusive relationship, I finally found the courage to step out on a sheer sheet of glass trusting God to hold me up. He did and the last 13 years have been the happiest of my entire life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you got out of that relationship! Thank you for your kind words.

      Delete
  3. That's why we just have to keep our eyes fixed on Jesus, nowhere else. He is more than enough. When we allow other things to take the place that should be his in our lives, then that is usually when we get into "trouble" with this or that in our lives.

    betty

    ReplyDelete

Have musings of your own? Comments are welcome...

Blog Archive