Monday, February 18, 2013

Monday Musings: The Exercise Edition

 photo MondayMusingscow_zpsf060cccf.png
Dear Treadmill: 
I hate you.   There is a reason I have nicknamed you “dreadmill.”

Dear Muscles:
Groan.   Why do you hurt me like this?

Dear Sketchers Shape Ups:
You are getting the well-placed blame for my calves and hiney being so sore.   Who knew 1.5 miles per day would make every step painful?

:::::I interrupt this regularly scheduled Monday Musings to bring you the following tale of woe exercise::::

I was off on Friday, and I thought it would be a good day to get on the treadmill.   I decided 30 minutes at a comfortable pace would be the perfect place to start.   It went pretty well, I think, considering it was the first time in a lonnnng time to be exerting extra energy.  God and I had a nice talk, and I had some Psalms taped to the dashboard panel, so I worked on some memory verses.  

I told myself I wouldn’t look at the timer or distance tracker.   When I thought I had walked forever, I finally looked.   Only 20 minutes!  10 more to go…and I had only walked a mile!  I gave thought to quitting right there…suddenly I was very hot…and thirsty!   My desire to talk to God or memorize scripture flew out the window that I was wishing was open!   But I made it 30 minutes, and 1.5 miles.   Not bad for a fat chick, eh?  

 photo FatChick_zpsfe85ab7d.jpg
At some point during the walk, I cranked up the speed for several minutes, so I was actually winded, and very dry.  Ever try to drink from a glass when you’re really hot and really winded?  It ain’t pretty, but it can be done.

Saturday, I absolutely did not want to get on that thing.  I looked for my Walkman to listen to music, but I couldn’t find it anywhere.   I got on and set the pace for something comfortable, and I whined to God that I didn’t want to walk.   I didn’t want to memorize my Psalms, I didn’t want to talk to God…I didn’t want to walk, but I did it anyway.   And I had to walk a little longer to get to my 1.5 miles, but I did remember to turn a fan on.

Sunday, I decided to be thankful.   As I climbed on the treadmill, I thanked God for the 70+ pounds that are gone, and I thanked Him for a lot more, too.  I walked my 30 minutes, and I was particularly thankful to have that little feat finished!  

During this journey, I do intend to be honest…so tomorrow, I will be posting Part 2 of my obeying God inadvertently, and then later this week, we’ll talk about believing when the scales slow down.  

Now aren’t you waiting on the edge of your seat?

Bwahaha 

4 comments:

  1. WTG for getting on it and continuing to exercise Meg!! Unless you feel compelled, 5 days a week on it would be good; the other two days take a walk in the neighborhood or wherever. That way you won't get burnout about it. But that's fantastic you started! It will get easier. Any chance of putting a portable TV close to where the treadmill is? I know it makes the time go by faster at the gym if I'm watching TV while I'm exercising.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make me feel guilty...I mean, inspired! I can do it! Thanks for sharing this. It is just what I needed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please keep posting. You are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

Have musings of your own? Comments are welcome...

Blog Archive