Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Son of God

I went to see Son of God last night.   I was a little disturbed.

When Roma Downey and friends put together the Bible TV series, I watched the first hour and saw so many inaccuracies that I didn’t watch the whole series.   It is a shame when a group has a platform to reach the world for Christ and chooses to omit/alter what the Bible clearly states.  I don’t think even the timeline of the Bible should be changed, much less a storyline.   Leaving out pertinent details is just as wrong.   If I didn’t already know Christ, I believe I would have left the theater in confusion as to why He was crucified on the Cross.   Above all, the reason Jesus came to die on the cross should have been clearly covered.   There was no explanation of the gift given to us on Calvary’s Hill, nor how His shed blood saved us.  Other than Jesus placing a quick kiss on the cross as he carried it and a quote of John 3:16, salvation was largely ignored.

I know some people have been awe-inspired by this movie, but sadly, it is a watered down imitation of God’s truth.   I’m not saying the movie was a colossal waste of time and had no truth in it (there were definitely tears shed).  But I am saying that you cannot blatantly change a Bible account and call it truth.   What Jesus did when He walked on this earth should be told exactly how it happened.   His actions were according to God’s plan and need no tweaking or modification. 

There are a few more movies coming out in the next month or two I’d like to see:   “God’s Not Dead” and “Heaven Is For Real.”   I think I’ll pass on “Noah,” I think it may be too Hollywood for me to thoroughly enjoy.   It’s not like these people are changing a book of fiction…they are attempting to alter the Word of God!   

A case like this is just one more reason to study your Bible.   Memorize what’s in those pages…get the Word into your heart and soul so that you are full of the Truth, and you will immediately recognize a counterfeit story when it crosses your path.




6 comments:

  1. Sigh. A group of people from church are going to see the movie Sunday afternoon. I told my husband that I had absolutely no desire to see it whatsoever. Why not? Because i knew, just from the clips I saw, that my reaction would be the same as you posted here.

    I have had that reactin to almost every Bible movie I have seen in the last few years. Really, why do thaey have to change what is already a most dramatic story? The last movie I saw, I said it would be the LAST movie based on the Bible that i saw, was "A Night With the King" based on Esther. Frankly, I was appalled. Not only was most of it total fiction of what might have happened, they left out whmost of what we knew DID happen--and what they left out was drama-filled. I don't get it.

    But I digress..

    Here's my take on Son of God: I remember watching "The Greatest Story Ever Told" when I was about 14 years old. At that age, having attended a Presbyterian Church on a semi-regular basis, I knew the basics and that's about it. As I watched the movie, I was awestruck. It made Jesus, who He was and what He did real for me. I'm hoping that this movie, despite its inaccuracies, will have that same effect on the unchurched people who watch it and give them a thirst for knowing Jesus.

    For me? It's better for all concerned that I stay clear.

    I was so hoping that your take on the movie was going to prove me wrong about it. :(

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review. I will save my money.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess I'm not surprised they would allow some "artistic" expression into the movie. I know even in the 10 Commandments with Charles Heston there were some things that didn't set well with me, also in the Passion of the Christ. Since we rarely go to movies these days, its a nonissue about seeing it unless we decide to rent it down the road. Maybe their hope is if people go and see sucha movie they will be interested in picking up the Bible and read for themselves who Jesus is?

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are doing more than attempting to alter the Word, they are doing it. In essence they are presenting false doctrine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh! THANK YOU! I was the same way about "The Bible"!!! I could not believe how off it was!!! And WHY???? Absolutely no reason whatsoever to change it! And yet they did. I watched maybe 30 minutes of it (the Sodom and Gomorrah scene). When I pointed things out to the 2 friends (Christian) how wrong it was they po phewed me and accused me of always being so hypercritical!!! They said "at least it will get people to search their Bibles" WHAT?! NOT!!! But, I really don't like any "Bible" movies because none of them stay true to the Word! (though I did love "The Passion") Listen, I believed that what I saw on "The 10 Commandments" with Charlton Heston was what really happened! I was in my 40s before I knew what really happened!

    And, oh my goodness you should have read the feedback I got when I criticized the animated movie about Moses on Amazon! It got UGLY!

    Anyway, I am so happy to find someone that telling the REAL TRUTH MATTERS!

    OH! And THANKS SO MUCH for stopping by and commenting on my blog!
    Nancy (Polly Wolly Doodle, or Not Just Any Bee)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with you completely. While it may not be a sin to alter the words, timeframe, or stories of the Bible, I believe it blasphemous.

    ReplyDelete

Have musings of your own? Comments are welcome...

Blog Archive